Proposal: removeDirectoryRecursive should not follow symlinks

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 22:39:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Greg Weber <greg at gregweber.info> wrote:

> How about being backwards-compatible friendly by adding a new function
> with the friendly behavior, adding a deprecation notice to the existing
> function, and putting the existing function under a new name that signifies
> the -rf? That would put me at a +1

To be honest, that it followed symlinks in the first place is arguably a
severe bug and also violates people's expectations. I suspect most existing
users would either be (a) applying it to something they created with a
known safe structure, so the change is irrelevant, or (b) horrified at the
unexpected lurking bug.

Functions like this should not follow symlinks.