Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 14:20:31 UTC 2015

Gershom - thanks for your passioned response. I think it is safe to say
that you and I have both different view of how industry proceeds, and
different views of how languages have historically evolved. These should be
good discussions over a pint, and I look forward to them some day.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Gershom B <gershomb at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my standpoint, the ironic thing is ... So we finally have a core
> libraries committee that is tasked with trying to make changes in a smooth
> way. ... But now, of course, the care that was taken to make sure
> everything works cleanly and smoothly itself has now generated backlash,
>
> My main inclination here is to trust the core libraries committee to do
> its job,

Well, er, I'm on that committee. And this proposal has had no direct
discussion, prior to this thread, in the mailing list in the last six
months or more. I find references to it in a small number of threads, and
usually accompanied with a range of doubts of F/T being right for Prelude.
In the whole year prior to that there are two threads, both ending with EK
saying we'll work on that for 7.10. I'm certainly at fault for being
less-connected than I should be, but I wasn't the only one caught unawares.