Proposal: Add exception info

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 02:03:50 UTC 2015

Here is an idea to cut though a lot of the confusion in this discussion. It seems to me that _all_ ideas under discussion can be written as libraries, external to the RTS and external to GHC base. Of course, this means that all the functions in base won’t take advantage of these ideas, and won’t throw exceptions with any additional info.

However, it should be the case that we can take e.g. Michael’s proposal, turn it into an experimental library, including exports of a few key base functions but now using this new exception approach, and just toss it on hackage. At that point, people can download and experiment with it, or attempt to modify it and hack on it to try out some variations. This isn’t the same as trying it all out _in base_ but it will let people experiment with various approaches, and come to a clearer conclusion on what the tradeoffs are. After some time where people can try the various approaches as experiments, we can revisit a discussion on which, if any, should move into the default base implementation.

—Gershom