Discussion: Change the specification of rotateL for non-finite Bits, or move rotations to FiniteBits

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:47:05 UTC 2014

Seq Bool and [Bool] aren't really correct Bits instances, let alone Bits a
=> Bits (Seq a) (the latter really only even starts to make sense for
FiniteBits a => Bits (Seq a), because you have to enumerate bits.

I also think defining such SeqN types (which _are_ legal) should really be
left up to the end user if they want them.

There are lots of points in the design space (Do you trim excess 0-bit only
entries from on the right? Leave them? etc.) it involves messy types, and
there is little to be gained by standardizing on one of them.

We don't have to include everything someone may someday want in base.

-Edward