Proposal: change the Bits instance for Bool to align with other basic types and support branchless calculations

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 18:01:45 UTC 2014

I don't think this newtype idea is likely to work out so beautifully.
The main problem is that real code is likely to do a lot of mixing and
matching of short-circuit and non-short-circuit code. The newtype
concept requires a lot of wrapping and unwrapping to express that, and
trying out different approaches to find the fastest leads to a lot of
complicated wrapper rearrangement.