List of core libraries

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 03:43:52 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM, Gershom B <gershomb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Better perhaps to do something like the following:
>
> "The core libraries are a subset of the packages in the Haskell Platform.
> Many core libraries define basic APIs that are expected to be available in
> any Haskell implementation. A second set of core libraries are coupled
> tightly to the Glasgow Haskell Compiler but nonetheless managed through the
> core libraries process, as they are considered core functionality in the
> GHC Haskell ecosystem.”
>
> Additionally, the libraries committee may want to more explicitly seperate
> the two lists? If we do ever have a new libraries section of a Haskell
> report, I imagine, e.g. it may well mention directory and process, but not
> ‘ghc-prim’.

I would argue that implementation specific libraries do not belong in the
core libraries list. Instead, perhaps the libraries committee should state
two functions: maintaining the core libraries list, and acting as the
community interface/liaison for libraries specific to implementations. The
implementations themselves should (and indeed must) maintain their
implementation libraries lists; but to the extent that the community
affects and is affected by these lists, the libraries committee is
empowered to act on behalf of the community.