Proposal: change the Bits instance for Bool to align with other basic types and support branchless calculations

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 17:34:18 UTC 2014

Let's factor your proposal into two pieces, creating branchless boolean
operations and using them in Data.Bits.

I'm 100% on board with adding a combinator for fast non-short-circuiting
boolean and' and or' to Data.Bool.

I'm not yet convinced that the thing in Data.Bits should be that operation
rather than the safer choice.

That turn your argument around on you to some extent. You'd have the fast
branchless version as and' and or' and when you are working monomorphically
with booleans and want short-circuiting behavior you can reach for them. ;)

Why am I being a pain in the ass about this?

I can envision a point in Haskell's future where we might want to let the
combinators in Data.Bits be the ones we use for Bool, where
&&/||/and/or/any/all/not/ just smash things together with Bits and we
generalize more of base.

That would be an incredibly dumb thing to do with non-short-circuiting
versions of the operators.

I for one don't want to cut off that possible future for a 10% gain for a
limited usecase.

I'm not willing to say we should do make that generalization, but I'm also
not willing to cut off that possible future.

-Edward