List of core libraries

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 17:40:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Thomas Miedema <thomasmiedema at gmail.com>
wrote:

> on the library submissions page on the Haskell wiki it says: "The core
> libraries ... define basic APIs that are expected to be available in any
> Haskell implementation."
>
> Is this list of those core libraries and their maintainers up-to-date:
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions#The_Core_Libraries
>
> I am asking, since GHC 7.8.3 also includes:
> * binary
> * bytestring
> * filepath
> * haskeline
> * hoopl
> * integer-gmp
> * terminfo
> * transformers
> But they are not core libraries. Is that correct?

There is a difference between the libraries needed to provide a core usable
Haskell installation, and the libraries required for a particular Haskell
implementation (in this case ghc) to provide basic functionality. For
example, integer-gmp is an artifact of how GHC implements bigints, and
haskeline and terminfo are required for ghci's line editing. We generally
distinguish between "core libraries" and "GHC bootstrap libraries"
("bootlibs").