Proposal (long term): Remove (/=) from Eq; change the semantics of (==) for floating point

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 04:14:59 UTC 2014

My primary objection is that currently all operators have ieee semantics on
Float/Double.  This change would mean that basic arithmatic operators would
have ieee semantics but comparisons would not.  I consider this a
significant added burden on users who are used to thinking in the current
semantics (it makes Eq more uniform at the cost of making Float/Double less
so).  Of course I do concede that it's probably much simpler for people
using Eq to assume reflexivity.