Proposal: Add a few extra members to Foldable and Traversable classes

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:26:22 UTC 2014

After discussing these matters some more with Edward Kmett and Reid Barton,
it appears the following makes sense:

Add the following to Foldable:
length—often stored as a separate field for O(1) access
null—called very often and slightly faster than foldr (\_ _ -> False) True
for some containers
toList—may be the identity or nearly so, and this fact may not be
statically available to the foldr/id rule
sum, product—may be cached internally in tree nodes for fast update, giving
O(1) access; may be calculated in parallel.
maximum, minimum—O(n) for a search tree; O(1) for a finger tree.
elem—O(log n) for search trees; likely better for hash tables and such.

Don't add anything to Traversable, because scanl1 and scanr1 are not worth
the extra dictionary weight.