PROPOSAL: re-export 'Typeable' type-class from Prelude

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:42:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Henning Thielemann
> <schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

>>> That's an argument for exporting Typeable from Control.Exception, since
>>> Prelude does not export Exception and friends.
>>

>> For me the Typeable constraint of the Exception class is just an argument
>> to not use implicit exceptions of IO, but instead use one of the various
>> Exception monads with explicit exception types.
>

> Not to mention that "...want it to be easier for people to define their own
> exception types" really makes me think something's gone wrong with the
> design somewhere. Exceptions ought to be ... exceptional, not common enough
> that people regularly need to define their own.

I thought the whole point of extensible exceptions was to define your
own? That way you can catch them, instead of just piling them all
together. I get that there are people who think you shouldn't use
exceptions at all, but for the people who *do* use them, I think they
should almost always define a new type for each one.

Erik