Discussion: adding displayException to Exception class

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:56:52 UTC 2014

Agreed!

I think there has been general consensus that when possible, Show
should generate valid Haskell code.  Suppose that you want to
reproduce some bug where a specific set of functions are suspected.
If there arguments are 'Show' instances, then you can output
invocations of these functions to a file.  This file can now be used
as an executable, minimizable reproduction of the bug!

Honestly, I think 'Read' isn't all that important except for things
like parsing numbers, very small applications. and prototypes.  In
practical code, you either end up using a serialization like binary or
aeson, or writing your own pretty printer / parser.  I'd rather have
the property that 'show' results in code than the property that "read
. show === id" (but certainly this is a nice property to have!).

Michael