Proposal: Let OpenGL depend on the StateVar package

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:32:23 UTC 2014

> [...] Another option on that front is to just remove the concept of a
> "GettableStateVar" entirely and substitute 'IO', [...]

-1, for the simple reason that there are probably tons of code out
there which might break, just to save writing a few straightforward
lines. Furthermore, I like the duality of gettable and settable vars,
and this would break it.

Let's not discuss things to death again, this is exactly what happened
a few years ago. That lead to the exclusion of StateVar from the
standard libraries and the subsequent assimilation into OpenGL, the
exact thing we're trying to revert.