Proposal: Let OpenGL depend on the StateVar package

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:30:47 UTC 2014

We're currently actively working on writing better SDL 2 bindings in sdl2.

For various reasons, it can't depend on the OpenGL package directly, but it
needs a state variable construction.

Sadly, not every platform with SDL 2 has OpenGL -- thanks Microsoft.

We'd like to depend on the StateVar package, but then we'll get two
versions of the notion of a StateVar that conflict.

By *far* the cleanest option for us moving forward would be if OpenGL switched
to using the externalStateVar package that you also maintain, then we could
incur a dependency on that.

I realize that when this was last proposed there was some pushback from the
Haskell Platform, but otherwise what we're going to start seeing is a
profusion of almost-compatible APIs, which is the very thing that the
Haskell Platform is meant to prevent.

This would necessitate adding StateVar to the Haskell Platform, as OpenGL
is in the Haskell Platform.

The package is maintained by the same maintainer as the current OpenGL
package.

Discussion Period: 2 weeks

-Edward Kmett