[core libraries] Future of "Text.Show.Functions" module

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:36:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
wrote:

> I think this really brings up the question of what `Show` should be used
> for. If the goal is to be simple serialization with `Read` as the
> inverse[1], then this is clearly a nonsense instance and shouldn't be
> included.

I think I've said before that it would be nice if we had a specific class
for debugging displays, given that Read/Show are generally oriented toward
serialization. Sadly, this would end up requiring a lot of repetition,
since you couldn't sanely fall back on a default Show instance to get a
notional Gist (or whatever) instance.