Proposal: Make a very slight change to the semantics of Data.List.isSuffixOf

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 21:50:48 UTC 2014

A slight simplification (because I realized the weird thing I was doing
won't actually save any time):

isSuffixOf              :: forall a . (Eq a) => [a] -> [a] -> Bool
[]     `isSuffixOf` _   =  True
needle `isSuffixOf` hay =
      maybe False
            (\fp -> needle == getEndChunk hay fp)
            (getFrontPointer needle hay)
  where
    getEndChunk :: [a] -> [a] -> [a]
    getEndChunk (_:hy) (_:fp) = getEndChunk hy fp
    getEndChunk hy     _      = hy

    getFrontPointer :: [a] -> [a] -> Maybe [a]
    getFrontPointer [] hy         = Just hy
    getFrontPointer _  []         = Nothing
    getFrontPointer (_:nd) (_:hy) = getFrontPointer nd hy

I still haven't heard from anyone about the slight semantic change. To
clarify it slightly, the only aspect that could theoretically be a problem
for somebody is that this reverses the order in which the elements of the
"needle" are compared to the (length needle) elements at the end of the
"haystack". The current implementation compares them from back to front;
this one compares them from front to back. That means that if some elements
in the needle or near the end of the haystack are undefined, there are
cases where this implementation bottoms out when the current one returns
False, and vice versa.