process: Confusion about UseHandle handles being closed.

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Nov 25 19:33:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014, Felipe Lessa wrote:

> On 25-11-2014 08:39, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>>
>> I think the cleanest solution would be to add a new field (e.g.
>> leaveOpen) to the CreateProcess record. (Btw. why are the other fields
>> named with underscores?) Otherwise, every new switch to createProcess
>> multiplies the number of its variants. Users who create the
>> CreateProcess structure using 'shell' and 'proc' won't need to adapt
>> their code.
>
> This would require a major version bump to the library.  It may not be
> worthy for such a small change.

The small change "adding createProcess_" is the start of a messy path.

The future proof solution would be to make the CreateProcess record opaque
and provide setter functions for it. I don't think there is a need to read
fields of CreateProcess. This change would also justify a major version
bump. In a first step, the 'process' package could only provide new setter
functions (without underscores).