[core libraries] Data.Display - Textual representation of Haskell values (was Re: PROPOSAL: Add displayException to Exception typeclass)

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Nov 10 20:16:03 UTC 2014

On Mon Nov 10 2014 at 9:55:28 PM Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:

> On 10/11/14 13:32, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> > One other question/comment: I'm not convinced that the `String` instance
> is
> > a good thing. It will conflict with any other list instance, unless you
> > turn on OverlappingInstances (which I hope you don't).
>
> I do. Why don't you?

Just the general aversion to OverlappingInstances. The few times in the
past I've attempted to use OverlappingInstances to solve a problem, it
turned out poorly, which has left a bad taste in my mouth.

In this case, I wouldn't want some orphan instance of `instance Display
[Int]`, for example, changing behavior of my program. That's not a very
strong reason to be sure; my primary concern is the unforeseen
complications it will result in.

Michael