asum really needs to go into the Foldable class (or something)

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:42:32 UTC 2014

The current definition is "biased", using foldr and <|> instead of foldMap
and the new Alt. This is a bit awkward in the post-BBP world, but we also
don't want to just debias it across the board, because if the Foldable is
holding lists, the debiased version will be very bad.

More generally, there are a number of Foldable members that are very
awkward, pleading for MPTC, because the sane implementations depend on both
the container type and the element type. I know we're pushing right up
against the deadline for 7.10.1, but the current situation is making me
very nervous.

David