'temporary' package

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:26:48 UTC 2014

You are perfectly within your rights to fork the package off to your own
copy and do whatever you want with it. You are welcome to fork all of
hackage if you need to.

People can then choose to prefer your more proactive maintenance strategy
or that of the original packages.

The concern I have is over the notion of *coopting maintainership* of the
original package on such a short timeline. I personally find *that* to be
the alarming part of this whole discussion.

I hereby formally *do not consent* to anything remotely resembling the
timeline proposed in this discussion for any of my packages. Fork or do not
use them if you feel you must.

If you don't trust a developer to ship on a timetable you can support, then
do not depend on their packages.

But the flipside of that is that if I don't trust a developer to not
spuriously split the community, I can't bring myself to depend on their
packages, either.

We lived through the great mtl/monads-fd/monads-tf split and it was
terrible with hackage divided into 3 camps that were mutually incompatible.

I personally prefer code that works together to gaining a few days
turnaround time or forking for minor differences in design goals.

We've produced a lot of heat from this discussion for a patch that was
trivially applied within a week of being submitted.

I think the fact that your patch was graciously applied so quickly by the
original author largely speaks to my point, but I'm exhausted by this
thread.

-Edward