'temporary' package

James Curbo james at curbo.org
Sat May 10 21:21:02 UTC 2014

To add to this remark, Debian has an explicit process for situations
just like this called Non-Maintainer Uploads (NMUs) which you can read
about here:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu

It seems like having a similar capability within Hackage, or more
defined policy about when it kicks in, would be a good idea. The way it
works in Debian, the original maintainer is not stripped of his role and
a fork is not necessary. NMUs are often only done in extreme cases where
the changes are small. (extreme breakage of a library, fixing security
vulnerabilities, and so on)

Of course, collaborative maintenance helps as well, but ultimately it's
helpful to have some process to deploy quick fixes in a timely manner.

James