'temporary' package

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sat May 10 19:03:12 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-10 19:15, Edward Kmett wrote:
> I just want to say that I personally find this thread an the the similar
> "sky is falling" discussion about Lennart being on vacation for 2 weeks to
> be alarming and far far too hasty.
>
> Please consider the implications of such a 'shoot first' policy on
> participation within the community.

[--snip--]

I've snipped most of it, but +1000 to everything you said!

Some people like really long vacations *away from computers*, some
people like to batch things up, etc. Trusted users bumping some version
bounds is one thing, but taking over maintainership just because someone
is AFK for 4 days? That's insane! (If such a policy were in effect, I'm
pretty sure GHC itself could have already been taken over by someone
other than SPJ just because he was on vacation or otherwise indisposed.)

Likewise for the requirement for "backup maintainers" to avoid such
problems. Although my Hackage packages are all (happilfy for me) towards
the leaves of the dependency tree, I don't actually know anyone that I
trust sufficiently and who is competent enough in Haskell to be a backup
for maintainer for any of my packages. I imagine that the people who
have packages with lots of reverse dependencies are even more hard
pressed to find suitable "backups".

So, yeah. +1000 to what ekmett said.

Regards,