We need to add role annotations for 7.8

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 24 14:46:22 UTC 2014

When Brandon says “potential bugs/unsafety and all” he means GeneralisedNewtypeDeriving (GND).  That already exists, and already allows you to do bad things (Trac #1496 among others).

See the thread on https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8827, starting especially at comment 17 for more discussion and some insightful comments.  As Edward (on the ticket) and Brandon (here) point out, going to “nominal by default” will be very safe but it’ll break many Haskell packages which use GND.

This is really a library/user question, not a GHC one.  We can implement whatever default you want.  But GHC 7.8 is about to be released and this debate has been going on for some weeks, at high intensity on ghc-devs, plus Richard specifically advertised it to the libraries list back in November<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2013-November/021707.html>, and again a couple of weeks ago<http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-March/022321.html>.

I think the status quo is not unreasonable.  One question you might want to debate is whether, as Brandon suggests, you want to move to “nominal by default” in due course.

Simon