Data.Dynamic: Any vs existential

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 10 20:49:14 UTC 2014

It's certainly true that, with the current setup, a monomorphic instance will look like

instance Typeable Foo where

  typeRep# = \_ -> (...something...) :: TypeRep

and the optimiser will float the (...something...) to top level.  But this is an optimisation, not true by construction.  For example, a non-top-level instance might look like

instance (Typeable a, Typeable b) => Typeable (a b) where

  typeRep# = \_ -> mkAppTy (typeRep# (undefined::Proxy a))

                           (typeRep# (undefined :: Proxy b))

And that in turn will become

$dfTyApp = /\a b. \(d1::Typeable a) (d2::Typeable b).

           \_ -> mkAppTy (d1 a) (d2 b)

(I'm missing out some newtypes etc.)  Now, will the (d1 a) and (d2 b) be floated outside the \_?  Not so certain.  It depends on the let-floater.

The good thing about the Tagged stuff is that there is no lambda in the first place, so the issue doesn't arise.

It's ok if the programming interface is less easy to use; Data.Typeable.typeOf is already a function, not a method.  The method is called typeRep#, and is internal.

So I think you can go ahead and improve the design. But it's clearly a library-committee decision; I'll just do what you say.

Simon