Polymorphism in the Prelude

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:07:22 UTC 2014

Having attempted to program with NoImplicitPrelude "in anger", I personally think this fix is worse than the disease and I'm personally -1.

In some sense, the current path we're taking forward is actually substantially similar except the non-generalized versions are just the haskell2010 and haskell98 packages, which work well for the kind of trivial classroom exercises needed for the first semester worth of coursework, but desire to work with the rest of the library ecosystem provides gentle pressure to encourage people to learn the rest.

The difference is the vast majority of users aren't constantly plagued by the demand they use extensions to get what should really be baseline tools.

In the long term, yes we might want to embrace Category and other abstractions. The main issue I have is that it is very hard to motivate through Prelude in that there is only one Prelude type anyone can point to that is an instance.

-Edward