Overlapping and incoherent instances

Niklas Haas haskell at nand.wakku.to
Tue Jul 29 18:41:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:29:45 +0000, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> CAN_OVERLAP and CAN_BE_OVERLAPPED?
>
> (instead of OVERLAPPING and OVERLAPPABLE)
>
> Or CAN-OVERLAP, CAN-BE-OVERLAPPED
>
> That’s ok with me if that’s what you all want!
>
> Simon

For my 2¢, I think OVERLAPPING and OVERLAPPABLE are just fine - I
immediately understood what each word meant, there's no ugly ‘_’ or ‘-’
to agonize about for eternity. I would be +1 on just keeping those names
as-is.

I'm neutral about whether or not I like OVERLAPS as a combination of
both, I don't think that communicates quite clearly what's going on -
but I do think it's important to have a way to not have to write both
lengthy pragmas out.