HP Server Release

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Mon Jan 20 09:16:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 2014-01-20 at 10:03:57 +0100, harry wrote:
> As someone who frequently installs Haskell on servers, I'm interested in what
> you have in mind. My install process basically consists of 3 steps:
>
> 1) Install GHC from bindist
> 2) Delete all the documentation (except licenses), and all the stuff that's
> only needed for profiling, dynamic linking, and GHCi;
> 3) Install caball-install

...that's exactly -- except that I don't bother for 2) unless I have
space-constraints -- exactly how I proceed for server installs as
well...

> I'm not interested in any other pre-installed packages, because
> cabal-install will download and install what's needed when it needs it. The
> basic idea of HP - a pre-selected set of libraries to base development on -
> is only meaningful for developer workstations, not the servers that they
> deploy their software to.

btw, if one really wants to use the HP-blessed versions of certain
packages, one can instruct `cabal-install` via longish `--constraints`
argument[1], so no need to distribute a binary build of those libs.

Cheers,
  hvr

 [1]: https://github.com/hvr/multi-ghc-travis#haskell-platform-configurations