Splitting Network.URI from the network package

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 10:56:06 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

I will do the required changes (split, add docs, etc) and put the new
package under https://github.com/haskell/network-uri (for now).

It would be great to have a new maintainer, under the condition that the
new maintainer recognizes that

 * Network.URI has been around for a long time and lots of users depend on
it, so please don't break backwards compatibility without some serious
thought and
 * the package is a part of the HP (by virtue of network being apart and we
don't want to remove a module without due process), so the maintainer will
need to adhere to the HP rules (e.g. don't add new deps that are not part
of the HP).

I will try to do the split in the next few days, but I have visitors so it
might take a bit longer.

-- Johan