Splitting Network.URI from the network package

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:35:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>
> wrote:

 *Options 2: Users of Network.URI depend on both network and a specially
>> crafted network-uri*

> Cons:
>>
>>    - network-uri has a false dependency on network (i.e. it doesn't
>>    actually need that package).
>>    - You can't build against a new version of text *and* use the
>>       network-uri package (this is the current problem we have with network in
>>       the problem description).
>>
>>  Can you clarify this point? I would imagine that network will no longer
> have *any* dependency on text, so I don't see where this comes from.

My apologies. Let me clarify. If the user doesn't already have a version of
network installed (e.g. via the HP), then building network is required to
build network-uri. This probably isn't a problem on Windows, if we assume
users already have an appropriate version of network through the HP. It
might be an inconvenience (e.g. longer build times) for users who don't use
the HP but still want to build network-uri (e.g for the maintainer of
network-uri :) ).