Proposal: Add log1p and expm1 to GHC.Float.Floating

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 03:55:16 UTC 2014

Let's try taking a step back here.

There are clearly two different audiences in mind here and that the
parameters for debate here are too narrow for us to achieve consensus.

Maybe we can try changing the problem a bit and see if we can get there by
another avenue.

Your audience would wants a claim that these functions do everything in
their power to preserve accuracy.

My audience wants to be able to opportunistically grab accuracy without
leaking it into the type and destroying the usability of their libraries
for the broadest set of users.

I essence here it is your audience is the one seeking an extra
guarantee/law.

Extra guarantees are the sort of thing one often denotes through a class.

However, putting them in a separate class destroys the utility of this
proposal for me.

As a straw-man / olive-branch / half-baked idea:

Could we get you what you want by simply making an extra class to indicate
the claim that the guarantee holds, and get what I want by placing these
methods in the existing Floating with the defaults?

I rather don't like that solution, but I'm just trying to broaden the scope
of debate, and at least expose where the fault lines lie in the design
space, and find a way for us to stop speaking past each other.

-Edward