Proposal: Add log1p and expm1 to GHC.Float.Floating

wren romano winterkoninkje at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 01:25:57 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 8:49 PM, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know for me personally it would force me to double the amount of numeric
>> code I write, just to maximize my audience. I really don't want to go there.
>> I just want to be able to call the function I mean, and to be able to talk
>> to the right people to make it do the right thing.
>
> exp1m = error "Go bug some library author to implement exp1m"
>
> would accomplish that even more efficiently, since it will directly point
> users to the right people.

FWIW, because log1p/expm1 etc are not part of the current API, this
too is a strictly monotonic improvement over the current state of
things: users who don't know/care about the new functions don't need
to change anything, and users who do care are beholden to see that
they are implemented correctly. No need for CPP. And no misleading
implementations of the fused functions.

I'm +1 for these defaults.

--
Live well,