installing webkitgtk3: webkitgtk-3.0 version >=1.8 not found

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:37:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Blue Glacier <blueglacier414 at gmail.com>wrote:

> thanks. I am still very confused and I don't understand what the
> difference between webkitgtk3 and webkitgtk-3.0 is and why one requires the
> other as dependency.

Many Haskell libraries are bindings to C libraries. Those libraries have to
come from somewhere else; Cabal cannot operate your system package manager
for you, or even figure out which of several you might be using.

pkg-config... think of it as the C version of ghc-pkg. It searches a
registry of installed C library packages, and can report details needed to
build something that needs to use those packages. cabal knows how to ask
pkg-config to search the registry, but not how something in that registry
maps to some package name in some system package manager.

I found webkit-gtk3 on macports (I am using a mac), but this did not help.
> I found webkit-gtk-3-devel and tried to install it, but macports says:

You don't use -devel packages on a Mac; that's a Linux-ism. In MacPorts, a
-devel package is an alpha or beta test package and should probably be
avoided unless you specifically intend to help test a pending upgrade.

What does `pkg-config --cflags webkitgtk-3.0` in a terminal window say?

> *Error: webkit-gtk3-devel is not supported for this installation of
> MacPorts.  It requires libc++ be selected as your C++ runtime.  Please use
> webkit-gtk3-devel-2.0 instead*

Apple changed the C++ stuff in Mavericks; this breaks a rather large amount
of stuff, and requires that alternative packages be used for some things.
:/ But since you should not be using -devel packages and you aren't on
Mavericks, you can ignore this package.