Proposal: Add log1p and expm1 to GHC.Float.Floating

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Fri Apr 18 10:17:57 UTC 2014

On 17 Apr 2014, at 18:15, Edward Kmett wrote:

> log1p and expm1 are C standard library functions that are important for work with exponentials and logarithms.
>
> I propose adding them to the Floating class where it is defined in GHC.Float.

+1.  I don't know anything about these functions per se, but am persuaded by Edward's case that they are standard and expected by numerical analysts.  My only reservation is that GHC.Float is too implementation-specific a location for them.  If these functions are important, they are important enough to make standard.  Let's have them in module Numeric, or Numeric.Floating, or whatever.

Regards,
    Malcolm