PVP proposal: no upper bounds on non-upgradeable packages

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 22:27:31 UTC 2014

For this particular issue, in general I'm +1.

The main quibble I have with it the base bound was needed for the 'default
to base 3 if no bound is specified' hack, though. The base < 5 convention
is a by-blow of that era.

As for the others, bounds in third party packages on template-haskell cause
an unreasonably large fraction of the user complaints I receive. An even
worse situation is where they _do_ wind up "upgrading" template-haskell and
now it doesn't work at all, silently several packages later.

That said, this should be rather mitigated going forward by:

https://github.com/hvr/cabal/commit/65e9b88bc849e76040ed7947591ea7172cd02db5

which closes out

https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1444

and

https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/667

So in essence, it _is_ being fixed in cabal.

-Edward