Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Thu Apr 10 14:22:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Vincent Hanquez <tab at snarc.org> wrote:

> You could have notified me about the fact that you're still using an 1.5
> year outdated package, I could reupload a newer tls-1.0.x branch package
> with the upper bound on cryptocipher. it would take me 1 minute.

That's sort of irrelevant IMO. Old code that was working fine before
shouldn't rot just because it's old -- I've had plenty of breakages in this
particular testsuite in the past (please just take my word for it and don't
make me look them all up :)) where I was using some older version of
http-enumerator/conduit, got into a tls/cryptocipher/etc build breakage
because of the lack of upper bounds, tried to upgrade http-conduit to
latest version and then got a bunch of build breakages because the
http-conduit APIs had changed.

At that point I have a project on my hands: sure I could track you down and
ask you to add upper bounds to your old packages, or get on the Hackage
upgrade treadmill and update that code to the latest version of that API,
but your decision not to follow the PVP is what caused the breakage in the
first place --- and as people have been complaining since you guys started
on this "remove all the upper bounds" Don Quixote quest, build breakages
due to this are inevitable unless you never change your APIs again.
Frankly, just giving cabal the information it needed to generate a valid
build plan was the lowest-friction option for me here. We don't use
http-conduit in the git master snap-server testsuite anymore (precisely
because I'm sick of fixing these build breakages), so I did the least
amount of work possible to keep the 0.9-stable branch working.

TL;DR: complaining because I didn't notify you that your decision to omit
upper bounds caused me a build breakage seems weird to me: we've been
protesting that this is an inevitable consequence for a long time now.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>