Upper bounds in PVP WAS: Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Apr 10 11:00:50 UTC 2014

Starting a separate subject for this response so I don't drive Mark
absolutely crazy.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Vincent Hanquez <tab at snarc.org> wrote:

> On 2014-04-08 16:29, Gregory Collins wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately the entire Haskell tls/crypto ecosystem doesn't obey the
>> Hackage package versioning policy and until this is fixed I think that
>> issue precludes it from being included in the platform.
>>

> First of, you might want to read up on the difference between the
> definition of policy and rules/law. "obey" doesn't have its place here.
>
> Second, the tls/crypto ecosystem is following most of the PvP apart from
> "3 Dependencies in Cabal".
>
> Third, The PvP doesn't actually *enforce* any requirements on
> dependencies. I can only see CAN, SHOULD, MAY in the section 3.
> On the other hand, you can find MUST in section "2 Versions numbers", and
> as far I'm concerned the tls/crypto ecosystem is following each
> requirements in this section.

Reading that section myself, I have to say I agree with Vincent's
interpretation. It would seem therefore that the packages under question
are in fact in compliance with the requirements of the PVP, and therefore
there's no blocker to including tls in the platform in the future,
regardless of how you interpret the HP's statement "we follow the Haskell
Package Versioning Policy".

So if someone wants to object to inclusion of tls, it would have to be on
technical grounds, rather than simply quoting a document.

Michael