Proposal: Changes to the PVP

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Apr 10 09:24:59 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-10 at 08:19:10 +0200, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On 10/04/2014 05:30, Michael Snoyman wrote:
>
>> * Module reexports leaking from transitive dependencies.
>
> Shouldn't we just be saying "don't reexport entire modules from other
> packages"? Is there a scenario where this is useful? One scenario I can
> see is perhaps inside groups of packages maintained by the same author
> or in the same source tree, but then the author can bump all the
> packages in sync if necessary.

Btw, if one does re-export entire modules (w/o filtering via
import/export lists), you simply have to put an upper bound at the
minor-version level of the package you're re-exporting.

Maybe a note making that more explicit would be sensible (IMO it's
actually just an implication of the current PVP but making it more
obvious wouldn't hurt).