PVP proposal: no upper bounds on non-upgradeable packages

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:52:26 UTC 2014

I haven't tested this with the new cabal-install solver, but with the old
one the user would get much worse error messages if 'template-haskell' had
bounds - cabal-install would start trying to install the old version and
fail, sending the user off on a wild goose chase trying to figure out how
to make that install work.

If you have no bounds then the error is much easier to diagnose - the
library needs to be modified to work with the version of template-haskell
currently installed.

I'm +1 on this policy, even though I would prefer the fix be in
cabal-install itself.