Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Tue Apr 8 15:29:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:

> I know people have raised security concerns about using the tls package
> due to lack of testing relative to OpenSSL, but I'm not sure if those
> arguments are so valid given recent events[5].

Yeah, I've been meaning to mention this issue -- I have definitely been
among those in the past pushing for OpenSSL as the only sensible solution
(conventional crypto wisdom is that you stick to tried and true,
well-tested solutions) but I might change my tune on this. Sure, the
Haskell tls library might potentially be vulnerable to unknown side
chaining or timing attacks (and there is C code in there), but I don't see
much chance of buffer overflows leading to secret key disclosure (!) coming
out of our camp.

Unfortunately the entire Haskell tls/crypto ecosystem doesn't obey the
Hackage package versioning policy and until this is fixed I think that
issue precludes it from being included in the platform.

As far as HTTP clients go there is also http-streams (
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/http-streams) which is itself very nice
and (unsurprisingly) what I would vote for. Given that we already have an
HTTP client library in the platform (even though it's not really so great)
and there are multiple viable alternatives, I don't think we can pick a
replacement to go into the platform yet, especially if it would pull in one
of the streaming libraries. I've considered nominating io-streams for
inclusion into the platform (it's a very nice and high-quality library, if
I do say so myself) but I haven't because the matter simply isn't settled
yet and I don't think it's right to canonize one approach over the others.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>