Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Nick Smallbone nicsma at chalmers.se
Mon Apr 7 16:42:41 UTC 2014

On Monday 07 April, 2014 at 06:04 pm, Johan Tibell wrote:
> > That's the thing - I don't think anyone knows how to fix StdGen!
>
> I was, perhaps naively, hoping that we could just take the implementation
> of tf-random and dump it into StdGen!

Oh I see! I thought you were asking about taking the existing StdGen
and somehow fixing split.

I believe that StdGen and tf-random are about the same speed, with the
winner depending on which benchmark you use. So I wouldn't expect any
big change in performance. But tf-random does link against some C code
to do the actual hashing, which I imagine is something we don't want
StdGen to do. But maybe with something like SipHash we could make a
pure Haskell version!

Nick