Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Sat Apr 5 20:34:05 UTC 2014

[about haddock and ghc-paths]

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 05:43:43PM +0100, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
> > Perhaps
> > the old build isn't nearly as "hermetic" as I thought it was, and new one
> > more so. It is also possible that GHC might have previously shipped with
> > ghc-paths?
>
> I don't think it every did ship with ghc-paths, at least I can't think
> of a reason why it would.

AFAIK, ghc-paths always was separate from haddock and ghc, it's
kind of a hack to provide default paths (of ghc, ghc-pkg, library
and documentation directories) used by haddock.

BTW: I already thought about amending haddock with a little autoconf
(or similar) goo to get rid of ghc-paths... maybe I finally do this
during our current OpenBSD release cycle (which means I would have
a patch ready shortly *after* the release of HP 2014.2.0.0).

> In any case, if you do require that you build Haddock yourself, adding
> ghc-paths to the platform should be no problem. It's pretty simple
> although I can't vouch for its suitability in the platform.

If only the haddock executable (not the libary) is to be included
within the platform, wouldn't ghc-paths be a build-only dependency?
This was at least still the case for haddock-2.13.2.

Or did I miss some important change?

Ciao,
	Kili