[Proposal] Renaming (:=:) to (==)

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 21:29:10 UTC 2013

As an aside now that the conversation has drifted to the discussion of a
data type for representational equivalence:

One of the things I was chasing after with Iavor, Richard, and Simon about
at ICFP was how we can upgrade Coercible so that it can compose better.

Currently you cannot derive Coercible a b from Coercible b a, and Coercible
a b and Coercible b c do not entail Coercible a c. This means it isn't
possible to compose these witnesses 'horizontally' at present. e.g. if we
were to try to write say Data.Type.Equality.Representational, we could not
(at present) write anything like the current combinators in
Data.Type.Equality even just starting with the Category for composition.

I fully favor keeping coerce simple and just possibly upgrading the
composition of Coercible or the internal witness ~R# that sits under
Coercible so that we can write these compositions.

The first attempt at upgrading Coercible made it seem like perhaps the
right path forward was to do more with the ~R#, at which point having two
names at the constraint level seems to be problematic. We know how to
upgrade the composition of ~R#, but Coercible as currently built is harder.

That however is probably a separate discussion about

a.) how to actually finish fixing things up so that they can compose better
and
b.) if we can do it without affecting the API we provide to the end user.

-Edward