Text.Printf replacement?

Bart Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Sep 12 08:21:34 CEST 2013

I think the only references that matter are the ones in base, no? And
there aren't any there that I could find, except Text.Printf itself.
If we lift Text.Printf into a printf package, then make sure that
things reference this package, it should all just compile, I think.

I would vote for trying to do this for 7.8, and only merging my stuff
once it's done. But I'm not willing to manage the move, since I'm not
that Cabal/GHC-literate and haven't dug around in Hackage enough to
know what's affected. Perhaps the biggest objection to this whole plan
is the potentially large amount of packages in Hackage whose .cabal
files need to change: I don't know if there's some easy way to smooth
this transition?