Text.Printf replacement?

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Sun Sep 8 02:12:19 CEST 2013

A no-extensions approach would be to duplicate the string trick, with an
IsUnit class like the IsChar one. However, that's kind of incredibly
silly, because fromUnit :: () -> a is pretty much the same as hasAValue
:: a, so you get the least specific class ever.

Plus there already exist classes which have () as a member. How about:

    instance Monoid a => PrintfType (IO a) where ...

with 'return mempty' instead of 'return undefined'?

This is a little bit silly, but lightweight and extensions-free. If you
think that mentioning Monoid here is a distraction, feel free to
introduce a new class instead. It would end up being roughly speaking
the Default class from data-default, which I have gone on record before
as calling annoying and useless (with, admittedly, a few limited
applications).

Here's another idea: just enable FlexibleInstances and use

    instance PrintfType (IO ()) where ...

FlexibleInstances is pretty stable and really the bottom of the
hierarchy of class system extensions (perhaps just above
FlexibleContexts, but certainly TypeFamilies and MPTCs tend to sort of
assume you've got it enabled already). I don't know if there are any
inference issues that I'm missing here.