Proposal: GHC.Generics marked UNSAFE for SafeHaskell

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 16 11:49:14 UTC 2013

We have a constraint (a~b) that can appear in a type signature
                f :: (a~b) => a -> b

We can also have a type-level equality function
                type family Eq a b where
                   Eq a a = True
                   Eq a b = False

The type-level Boolean reflects the (a~b) constraint precisely.

You sound as if you want a type family Satisfied, so you
                type family Satisfied :: Constraint -> Bool
Then you could have

                instance Ord T where ...
                type instance Satisfied (Ord T) = True

The difficulty is that we can never return False, because you can always make T an instance of Ord "later".  And you can't have Satisfied (Ord T) returning True in one place and Falsie in another.  It can get stuck (not reduce) but it can't return False.

I don't know if this would be useful to you.

And for more complex instances lie
                instance Ord a => Ord [a]
I don't know what you want to say for
                type instance Satisfied (Ord a) = ???