GHC HEAD vs Hackage, panic-free edition

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Mon Oct 14 23:51:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:

> What are the expectations on package owners here? My understanding was
> that the period inbetween GHC release and HP release is the time to fix
> this stuff up. However that obviously makes exercises such as this harder.

It's always good to fix this kind of thing early, as doing so makes it
possible to find even sooner the real problems that will otherwise remain
hidden by mickey mouse stuff like bad package dependencies. Finding
problems before a release is cut is way cheaper (even for open source
volunteers) than discovering them once the code is in the wild.