Wither Haskell Platform 2013.4.0.0

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 07:15:44 UTC 2013

good to know! (i'm out of date on my python knowledge)

I think we're getting pretty far afield.

speaking as someone who's played "OS X support guru/*grunt*" for people
dealing with GHC 7.6 + xcode 5 quite a bit for the past 2-5 months,

I don't care about what the release is, as long as we clearly communicate
to people

1) xcode 5 + ghc 7.6.3 have issues which require menial intervention and
following directions to fix (I even  sent out an email giving direction
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2013-September/110320.html ).
The directions i listed don't cover every *correct* way to work around the
issues, they merely list the solutions that are easy to communicate and
follow.

2) how to cope while we get a patched ghc/HP ready (by following directions)

3) get a patched GHC/HP out.

nearly every day I'm helping someone on IRC deal with this issue, and I
strongly suspect that thats the tip of the iceberg.

We need to have  clear information / warning to people who are installing
7.6 ghc or current haskell platform on OS X about this issue, if we fail to
make information about these issues available to new users, some will just
give up on bizarre CPP errors and move on.  Which i consider unacceptable :)

I don't care what solution we do, just that we fix this issue proactively.

while we prep to sort this out, can we at least more clearly link to this
issues information on the GHC / HP download pages? I'm really really really
really tired of playing support on this issue after a few months of it....
it stopped being fun a month ago when it started happening to people who
can't patch their own GHC. We need to deal with this.  Also i'm a bit
buried with my own stuff this month so i'm worried some people wont' get
helped!

-Carter