Flipped function application

Wvv vitea3v at rambler.ru
Sat Oct 12 21:55:30 UTC 2013

In my calculus, 13 in favor, 5 against, 2 not against, 5 don't care or
neutral.

I think that this thread is still important.

Hayoo! can't parse "a -> (a -> b) -> b" (bug ?) and if we try to find (&)
from Lens, this function has no signature at  Hayoo! :)
Maybe Hayoo! don't like flipped function application as well. :))
So, I can't say how many packages already have flipped function application.

But I know, that at least one package is already added flipped function
application and this package is popular!

Yes, I'm saying abut Edward's "lens" library. As I understand, Edward choose
the name looking which name was favorite in a discussion a year ago.  An
this is good.

(&) it will be de-facto a name for flipped function application if this
thread dead.

PROPOSAL: /Data.Function.Flipped/ package

So, maybe "if you can't resist the process, lead it". I mean we still could
choose the name.

Who is in favor - we can lead the process not adding function into the base
Who is against  - you can lead the process with find only one name for
flipped function application

*This solution satisfy everyone*:
1) Who is against - we don't add (#) into Data.Function and into the base
2) Who is in favor - we add flipped function application in a package and
reserve module name and function name

We all could choose the name and make a little package not in base:
Data.Function.Flipped
and add here this 1 function or may be 2 (as Andreas Abel suggested).

For example, I prefer
(#) = flip ($)
and
(&) = flip (.)