Proposal: Partitionable goes somewhere + containers instances

Edward Kmett ekmett
Mon Oct 7 16:51:25 UTC 2013

While it is PVP compliant, it would also tie the hands of the developers
enough that I don't see many developers wanting to adopt it. Working across
multiple packages means very painful changes to your build process if you
don't use cabal install for everything. It is even rather painful if you do
use cabal install for everything.

A slightly more palatable PVP compliant version which burns through version
numbers much faster is to separate the two digits of the major version and
use one for .Internal changes and one for changes to the majority of the
public API. Then users who only use the public API can depend on the first
digit. However, this has awkward aesthetics as your version numbers start
skyrocketing.

I'm not a fan of either approach.

-Edward