aeson and dlist in HP 2013.4.0.0

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Nov 27 17:27:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com>wrote:

> 1) Aeson option 3 or 4 is desirable - we all want aeson, we don't want
> blaze-builder
> 2) dlist has generated a fair bit of discussion, but no clear agreement.
> 3) no one has weighed in on scientific

I spent a bit of time digging into aeson's use of dlist this morning (I
didn't add it myself, hence the need to dig), and it actually uses almost
the entire API. I do not plan to duplicate dlist into aeson, so the
remaining options are to bring dlist into the platform (which is fine by
me), or omit aeson. The dlist package is somewhat widely used, and it's
very stable, so I am unfussed about its inclusion.

Regarding scientific, it solves a real problem with correctness in previous
versions of aeson. It is admittedly both new and nichey, but I would be
fine to see it go into the platform for the same reason we were okay
including the primitive package. It is depended upon by both the latest or
HEAD versions of attoparsec and aeson, so the option to fold its code into
aeson doesn't really exist.